Serving the Pacific Northwest since 1989 with
quality ASL Interpreters
Professional and reliable, National Interpreting Service offers a consistent service that our clients come to expect.
We adhere to the highest ethical business principles and professional standards.
Hospitals/health care networks, coordinated care organizations and private insurance companies, as well as governmental agencies, law offices, non-profit community organizations and others.
We offer the best quality and highest standards. Contact us for a quote today.
We believe in excellent service 100 percent of the time.
Our agency provides more than 30,000 hours of ASL service every year.
We take the time to get to know our clients and their needs. We have the capacity to serve you as you deserve without losing the personal touch that our clients love. With National Interpreting Service, you can feel confident that your needs will be met by our professional, courteous staff.
A word from founder Cynthia Anderson
We are driven by a purpose.
When I decided to pursue a career as an ASL Interpreter, I had no idea that decision would catapult me on a life journey that led me to National Interpreting Service. Providing ASL Interpreting services has always been an important and meaningful endeavor – both for the interpreters and for the companies that provide the service. We understand the role that we play in the communication exchange between a deaf and hearing person. We also recognize how that role is magnified when working in critical situations such as healthcare – where lives are literally on the line.
When I started National Interpreting Service, I did so with the mindset that we would never shortchange the people we serve and we would never put them at risk. Our interpreting agency fulfills its role by working exclusively with certified interpreters who are trained, credentialed and qualified to work the assignments they are asked. Unfortunately not every agency or interpreter shares that mindset, which is why 30 years later we continue to grow and play our role to help remove communication barriers that exist for deaf, deaf-blind and hard-of-hearing individuals.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.
Founder Cynthia Anderson (on the right) receiving the 2018 Interpreter of the Year Award from the Oregon Health Care Interpreters Association with Susy Molano, Executive Director of OHCIA
We exist to fulfill our role in a way that creates value.
Our Mission, Vision and Core Values
Our mission is to bridge the communication gap in healthcare by providing specialized, high-quality American Sign Language interpretation services. Committed to linguistic accuracy, cultural sensitivity, and ethical standards, we aim to ensure equitable access to healthcare services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community. Through our expertise and dedication, we strive to facilitate clear, respectful, and empathetic communication between healthcare providers and patients, fostering a healthier, more inclusive communication experience.
Our Vision/goals include
Empowering Healthcare Access through Sign Language Excellence
We can achieve this by maintaining a team of fully trained, certified credentialed staff interpreters. Every member of our team is trained and adheres to HIPAA and Specific Healthcare Entity Code of Conduct Agreements. Beyond certification, in both State and National credentials all of our interpreters pass a background check and 10-panel drug screening. Committed to always being available to provide top service 24/7.
We at NIS pursue our mission with a commitment to:
- Diversity, Equity, and Social Justice: We are dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment where every individual’s uniqueness is valued and respected. We advocate for equity and social justice by recognizing and addressing systemic barriers that impact the Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing community’s access to healthcare. Respect for and acceptance of all peoples, including marginalized communities, native peoples, and cultural communities whose linguistic uses of ASL may vary.
- Accessibility: We are committed to fostering accessibility by providing high-quality American Sign Language interpretation services, ensuring equitable access to healthcare for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community.
- Linguistic Excellence: We uphold the highest standards of linguistic accuracy and proficiency in American Sign Language interpretation, promoting clear and effective communication in healthcare settings.
- Cultural Competence: We respect and celebrate diversity, embracing cultural sensitivity and understanding of the unique needs and perspectives within the Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing communities.
- Ethical Integrity: We adhere unwaveringly to professional ethics and confidentiality standards, maintaining the trust and respect of both healthcare providers and patients.
- Collaborative Partnerships: We believe in fostering strong partnerships with healthcare organizations, interpreters, and the Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing communities to deliver comprehensive and effective communication solutions.
- Empowerment and Advocacy: We advocate for the rights and empowerment of Deaf, DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing individuals, striving to amplify their voices and ensure they receive the care and attention they deserve.
- Continuous Learning and Development: We are committed to ongoing learning and professional development to stay updated on the latest advancements in sign language interpretation and healthcare practices.
- Compassionate Care: We believe in the importance of empathy, compassion, and patient-centered care, recognizing the significance of human connection in healthcare interactions.
- Innovation and Adaptability: We embrace innovation and adaptability, leveraging technology and creative solutions to enhance the accessibility and effectiveness of our interpretation services.
- Excellence in Service: We are dedicated to delivering exceptional service, striving for excellence in every aspect of our work to positively impact the healthcare experience of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals.
These core values serve as guiding principles for the agency, shaping its culture, decision-making processes, and interactions as it strives to fulfill its mission in healthcare and American Sign Language interpreting.
Create Your Account With
National Interpreting Service.
If you’re looking to hire quality ASL interpreters, give us a call. We respond to RFPs and bid requests.
Oregon: (503) 932-8460 | Washington: (206) 337-4447
Toll Free: (877) NIS-SIGN or (877) 647-7446